Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Product Review: Frontera Kitchen's Key Lime Cilantro Taco Skillet Sauce



 


     Because I don’t always have the patience to cook meals from scratch (especially after a long day at work), I often buy what look like quick and easy versions of gourmet items. Some taste great and others aren’t worth it, so this post will be the first in a series of product reviews to help my fellow foodies out.
 
     I used the skillet sauce to make shrimp tacos, trying to find a happy medium between soggy takeout and the more elaborate preparation detailed in my 11/12 weekend recap post. These took about 10 minutes to make and achieved just that!  I bought a pound of shrimp that had been peeled and deveined, and cooked them in a skillet with one packet of the sauce. I diced some avocado and tomatoes while the shrimp cooked, spooned all of the ingredients into soft tortillas when they were done, and topped them with jarred with pineapple mango salsa and a hint of fresh lime juice and cilantro. The dish was very good (although not the same as the version from scratch), and when heating up the leftovers I found the lime and cilantro were unnecessary since the flavors are already so strong in the sauce. The sauce also had a kick to it, but wasn't overly spicy. It was much better than any of the taco kits I've tried (which usually have just the powdered mixes) and I decided I would make these again and try some of the other skillet sauce varieties.

No comments:

Post a Comment