Monday, May 14, 2012

Wine Review: Da Vinci Chianti


          Chianti is a Tuscan red wine, made primarily from the Sangiovese grape. It is typically medium in body, acidity and tannins, tends to have aromas of berry, leather, and tobacco, and pairs well with meats and pasta.

          I discovered Da Vinci Chianti at my local Shaw’s, when I was looking for a bottle of red to have with my steak. The Da Vinci caught my eye, and after reading the description I decided to try it. I ended up really liking it, and it’s become one of my go to reds when I want something good and reasonably priced (it’s $14 a bottle at Shaw’s and often marked down to $11-$12). I’ve brought it to several dinner parties, and it’s always been a hit.

         The Da Vinci Chianti is a little bit lighter and smoother than some Chiantis I’ve had, but still has the typical flavors of berries (I get cherries) and the peppery finish. I’ve enjoyed it with steak, roast beef, and pasta, and have heard that it’s also great with salmon. It’s consistently ranked in the high eighties by wine spectator, and I’ve heard they make a great reserve Chianti as well!

1 comment:

  1. Just reading your review on here... I had a guest give me this wine and I thought since it was a chianti, that it would be typically light and fruity, as they usually are. But to my surprise, it tasted more like a deep cabernet with very dark coloring. I'm giving it some air now to breathe, hoping the robustness settles in a bit more, but overall, not bad if you want a strong tasting wine.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete