Friday, November 28, 2014

Product Review: Sushi at Home

          Sushi at Home is a new product I discovered recently, and I absolutely love! I've been using it to make my favorite tuna tartare recipe and I'm always impressed by the freshness and quality of the fish.  


          Over the summer I attended a great talk by Jeremy Sewall, where he made some really good points about how frozen seafood can often be more fresh than what you get at the counter. Sushi at Home is one of these products. Fish from Sushi at Home are Super Frozen, which means they're immediately after they're caught at a temperature of -76 degrees Fahrenheit - the Eutectic Point. When this point is reached, all water in the cells of the fish is completely frozen and all microbial decomposition brought to a standstill. At this temperature it's possible to transport or store fish for an “infinite” period without loss of quality. Oxidation is halted and superfrozen tuna will maintain its bright color for the normal 3-5 after defrosting, just as fresh tuna would. Essentially you are eating 8 hour old tuna.


           Sushi at Home is available at Whole Foods, which has very high standards for its supplier, particularly seafood. Additionally according to Sushi at Home's website, the products are:
  • All Natural
  • No CO Treatment
  • No Antibiotics
  • No Preservatives
  • No Artificial Colors
  • Sushi Chefs' Choice
  • Long line caught
          I've only tried the tuna so far, but I've purchased it several times because it's so good! I definitely plan to try some of the other products available like their salmon. 



No comments:

Post a Comment